Receiving in home care or medical support is not unusual or uncommon. In fact, about 8,357,100 people receive support annually from home health agencies, nursing homes, hospices, residential care communities, and adult day service centers. The fact of the matter is that too few people take the chance to enlist the help of a medical support program. More than 90% of Americans over 65 have not prepared for the trials of old age by talking to their families about long term care issues. Being prepared is very important, and could save a lot of time and money when making decisions later on down the line, when medical support or in home care is critical.

Before you look into your options for yourself or your loved ones, here’s what you need to know about home health care.

It’s more expensive for women than men…
For whatever reason, the rate of home health care for women over 65 in the U.S. was over 55% higher than for men. It is worth it to compare prices with different services to make sure that you or your female relative gets the care they deserve at a fair price.

It can be expensive, but not unaffordable…
The bad news is that the annual expenditures in 2010 for in home healthcare cost $72.2 billion. Luckily, around 90% of all home health agency care is taken care of by Medicare or Medicaid. The other 10% is typically shared by families and private insurance.

It can be extremely comforting…
Being surrounded by their own things and keepsakes can be invaluable to patients, especially older ones. Having someone help them with day to day tasks and to administer their medication could mean the difference between moving to an impersonal public facility and staying at home in comfort.

Alzheimers is one of the leading reasons for in home care…
More than 75% of in home patients had at least two of the top most chronic conditions, with Alzheimers or high blood pressure being the most prevalent.

Figuring out the logistics of senior care is not something to push off. By doing your research and asking for references, you can find the best and most cost effective home health plan for you or a family member.